Thursday, May 14, 2009

Top Ten I Wish I Had Written This


This is my second instalment of ‘I wish I had written this. It was due in April (the chosen posts were written in March or thereabouts) but delayed for reasons best known to me. Does not matter though as great stuff is always timeless. I am also grateful to all of you who in response to my request have continued to direct me to more such awesome posts. Please keep it coming.


As always, ‘I like them and my gut says so’ is the only criteria for the selection of the posts mentioned below. They are not in any order of priority. Hope you like them as much as I did.

Sean Howard liked and believed in Saul Kaplan’s ‘Passion Economy’ so much that he decided to write about it. He did not stop with that. He made eminent authors contribute and created an e-book that he shared with the rest of the world. That’s passion for you.

In another life, The Ad Contrarian (Bob Hoffman) must have been the kid who pointed out that the Emperor was in the buff. When you read the above post (and all his posts, for that matter) you will know why. He does not spare anyone and I must admit that I am addicted to his blog.


Nearly ten years ago the founder of Legend Computers in China (now Lenovo) said in an interview that the key to a successful organisation is its culture and how quickly employees are able to become part of it. I believe in this. Adrian Ho states in his inimitable style that culture will be the only differentiator that an organisation has vis-a-vis the collective world.

Jeff Jarvis asks the fundamental question that should be in the minds (and lips) of journalists. He says originality is the key and goes onto to explain what he means. The lack of it is also the reason why media is struggling these days.

Tim Brown starts off by stating that his interpretation of economics might seem naive and yet goes onto write a simple and lucid piece on economy that I understood - at last!

Idris Mootee defines the criteria for bull-shit professions and sets out to give a list of ten bullshit professions. He manages only eight of them. The jury is open for the remaining two. One of the practitioners of bullshit is mighty offended and says so in his comments. It is great fun.


The Ad Contrarian pointed out to an almost similar idea of Top 10 Bullshit professions in his blog, posted over five months ago. Whatever be the list, I am happy to say that my industry is strongly represented :)

It was written in 20 minutes. It is a simple set of 13 statements that is truly awesome. Sample this - “Laugh at perfection. It's boring and keeps you from being done.” Just read it every time you start a work or think you are done!

At last, an appropriate title. This is a wonderful and humorous post that questions lot of our beliefs, especially our prejudice towards Microsoft vis-a-vis Apple. The comments that follow make for an equally great read.

As a person trying to make some changes in my life and career, I know how difficult it is. Imagine an organisation that wants to get into the social media bandwagon - it requires a total behavioural change. Neil Perkin rightly states that it is an art to make people embrace change and goes onto explain why.

Understanding how your products and services affect your customers and the broader society is paramount to avoiding huge problems. The problem that Mats Lederhausen is referring to is the current economic crisis.

(Image courtesy: Found Drama)

No comments:

Post a Comment