Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Without freedom of choice there is no creativity"


So says Captain of James Tiberius Kirk of Starship Enterprise.

The new Star Trek film will be released soon in India.


I was hooked onto Star Trek the serial during my school days and thought that Dr.Spock was the coolest dude. Not only that, my classmates and I used to debate extensively every Monday (the episodes used to be shown on a Sunday) the gizmos, special effects and the predictable yet interesting plots. The best part was when we used to compare some of the characters and gadgets with popular Indian folklore like Ramayana and Mahabharata. Boy, those were the days.


Tim Dowling of The Guardian has written a wonderful piece that is almost like a thesis on the phenomena called Star Trek. In his words “The Trekker is the template on which all modern obsessives are based, and these days every gathering of like-minded enthusiasts, be they evangelical Christians, Top Gear fans, comic book collectors or Liberal Democrats, owes a debt to the organisational structure of the Star Trek convention.”


Not only does he cover cerebral stuff like the one above but also interesting stories around the making of this great franchise. For example, the creator Roddenberry’s brief for how the USS Enterprise should look was simple: no rockets or wings. Instead, he just told the art director: "Just make her look like she's got power."


In addition to the Guardian piece, you might want to read this interesting post about leadership lessons from Starship Enterprise. I must say that the makers of Star Trek have spared no effort in marketing the film and I hope it lives up to the hype.

As for me, all I want to do is hear the most famous line that is etched in my memory: “Beam me up, Scotty!”

(Image courtesy: Jason Whittaker)

No comments:

Post a Comment